A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Aikido

Swimming, Zorbing, Triathlon, Hang Gliding. It's all here.

Re: Aikido

Postby Tess and Organza » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:55 pm

good one :-D
Tess and Organza

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Late Starter » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:33 pm

Back from 5th and 6th Dan group course. Spent the first part of the session doing eight ways exercise and testing. Without going into technicalities, you have to be mentally sharp with mind and body co-ordinated. Half way through, it struck me that my riding lesson on Thursday night covered much of the same principles. At Katherine's insistance, Tess and I agreed that it was time for me to look at some basic jumping drills. After warm up and a bit of a canter we were doing some figure of eights, dropping to trot at X and picking up the canter at the next corner. This needed mental alertness and co-ordination of man and horse. Now Mark Rashid :notworthy: I am not, but you don't have to be a genius to catch the similarity of feeling.
Late Starter

Postby Late Starter » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:31 am

First Dan grading for one of my students (Gabriella). Despite the heat and a partner who forgot what he was supposed to be doing, she produced a near flawless performance. Only two points of feedback from the grading officer and thanks for making his job easy. I gave her my old black belt as a reward.
Happy day.
Late Starter

Postby Chevalblanc » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:07 pm

Nice one :thumbup:
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby Late Starter » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:38 pm

Currently in Somerset at Aikido Summer School. Lots of hard work. Todays rain is a welcome relief. I think that lunging requires some of the skills I have been practising this week. There is an adults only riding camp at Ambitions in September. I have signed up and hope to learn something of the art of lunging. The Yard manager, Jo, thinks it will be messy...
Late Starter

Postby Chevalblanc » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:55 pm

Of course it won't be messy, it's all about using your body language correctly.....

Obviously we'll need some photos...
Helen

Chevalblanc

Postby Late Starter » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:22 pm

I'm not sure if Jo meant the idea of me lunging or the idea of an adults only riding camp. By the look on her face I suspect the latter. Katherine has her pony camp next week. That's the third one this year....
Late Starter

Postby Chevalblanc » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:57 pm

Ah, you mean the extra curricular activities? Then yes, if you're involved of course it'll get messy........
Helen

Chevalblanc

Postby Late Starter » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:41 pm

All this talk about contact has got me thinking about similar issues in Aikido. In particular the whole question of how we make the exercises effortless. To begin with you spend a lot of time trying to give students something else to think of instead of using brute force to wrestle the partner to the ground. We end up using elaborate metaphors to get people thinking of drawing a line down the opposite wall (for example). Anything but forcing your partner to the ground. Part of this process is to exaggerate the scale of the movement to give a stronger sense of the feeling involved. Eventually you keep the big feeling, but the movement becomes smaller, until it looks like you are doing nothing. The big feeling is still there, but the physical effort involved has become minimal. This strikes me as being similar to the process of developing a light contact when riding. You start from somewhere very far away from your objective and have to get there by a round about route. Trying to tell a new student that the exercise should be effortless tends to make them stand around waiting for the fairies to come and sprinkle pixie dust on it to make it all work for them. The important thing is, that from time to time, they get a glimpse of what effortless feels like. Over time they work to make that glimpse the normal way of practice. Of course, when I practice with other 5th Dans, I still end up struggling, but we struggle on a different level to beginners, making a better class of mistake :-D .
Late Starter

Postby Trudi » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:14 pm

:thumbup: :agree: teaching someone to longrein this week I have experienced this, fairy dust required :lol:
Trudi

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sporting Pastimes