A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Olympics

Swimming, Zorbing, Triathlon, Hang Gliding. It's all here.

Olympics

Postby Chevalblanc » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:07 am

Anyone else strangely fascinated by a bunch of sports they'd never otherwise watch? We have spent ages watching archery, canoeing, rowing and cycling.......!

Had to turn the dressage off though, too awful :sad:
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Olympics

Postby M-E » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:44 am

Yep I watched the Diving, Gymnastics , Archery and kayaking all have been brilliant, I have watch a fair bit of horsey stuff glued to the eventing and have caught a couple of hours of dressage (while ironing :lol: ) yes some has been poor but also some really nice stuff, really like the New Zealand lady, a one point she even released all contact to show the horse was in self carriage, she is also a dressage judge so knew it was allowed, I also like the Brit guy very nice and it looked that the whole way through he only used the snaffle rein, has to have two bits by law but didn't seem to touch it and it was alway loose.
Looking forward to watching the javelin, long jump etc I find them much more interesting than the actual running stuff
M-E

Postby spottygiraffe » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:19 pm

I haven't been able to watch any of the horsey events for the same reason as Helen. Sounds like there is some hope though from ME's eagle-eyed decription :thumbup: I saw a short clip of CDJ and my breath was taken away by it because Valegro is so stunning and graceful but I won't be watching the Brit quartet this afternoon. I was obsessed with it in 2012 but I know I won't enjoy it as much now :sad:

On the plus side...I have also watched the canoe slalom, partly because Angus vaguely knows David Florence. His Dad is a BA pilot and he actually flew his son out to Rio -how lovely and goose-bumpy is that?

Other random things I've watched include the archery, diving, gymnastics and fencing. The Brits who did the synchronised 3m diving were awesome.

I adore the cycling -road and track (Go Wiggo!) -and am looking forward to seeing Jo Pavey in the 10,000m later. Complete bummer about the timings of some of the athletics though. I think Mo is running at about 0230 tomorrow so there is no way I can watch it live.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby Chevalblanc » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:37 pm

I find it very sad that so many people on FB are sharing Charlotte's vid and going on about how amazing she is when all I can see is the tug of war. Same with that God-awful Cornelissen woman, getting praised for withdrawing that poor horse instead of condemned for the way she rides him (and made him start the comp even though he'd been unwell). Might give it another go later if there are some people doing a better job though......don't know anything about Spencer Wilton or Fiona Bigwood.
Helen

Chevalblanc

Postby M-E » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:01 pm

Thats the name Spencer Wilton, yep I liked him, I remember once reading a interview with Carl about the amount of pressure on the bit and his reply was along the lines of "the official pressure is too much so we have to pretend to be pulling as if we rode showing how little we use we would get reduced marks" it was the same with the NZ lady, it looked like a fairly strong hold till she moves her hand way up his neck and he still carried on the same, I managed to watch when they had a international judge commentating, he was very interesting, he said that she was very light with the leg aids, he was also quite against the behind the bit, he did not mention the R word but said serval times how bad it was for them to overland/head on chest, how it ruined how the horse moved etc and that they would be marked down for it, so maybe things are slowly changing, and maybe the rules will change too, I mean Carl has Valegro hacked out bitless.
M-E

Postby Chevalblanc » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:04 pm

Is anyone else confused by the cycling events? Seems incredibly complicated!!
Helen

Chevalblanc

Postby FlorayG » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:53 am

I'm not watching any of it sport doesn't interest me and the horses are ridden so awfully. I did catch a Google list showing pictures of ' the eventing athlete's and was disgusted to see pictures of humans only. Anyway the horse sports are all a joke, only super rich people can afford to take a horse. Horses should be provided by the host country and allocated by lottery
FlorayG

Postby M-E » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:59 am

FlorayG wrote: the horse sports are all a joke, only super rich people can afford to take a horse. y

Totally disagree with you on that, I have cousin who works her rocks off to buy, bring and train her dressage horses, she has made her way onto the Internal team and is working very hard for the next world games, and her horse hack out go swimming as they live need the sea, even the likes of Charlotte who is from London area and has never been able to afford a horse, yes there some rich but most work stupid hours for very little financial gain.

I know what you mean Helen, I just get the hang of one type of cycling then they change the format :lol:
Can't believe that American guy has just won gold 16 years years after his last one :shock: very impressive

Watched the dressage yesterday :hide: loved it really liked how all the Brits rode, especially Fiona Bigwood, first time I have watched her, very nice
M-E

Postby spottygiraffe » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:16 pm

M-E wrote:Watched the dressage yesterday loved it really liked how all the Brits rode, especially Fiona Bigwood, first time I have watched her, very nice

I only saw CDJ and I think she had much less of a death grip than in 2012 :lol: I appreciated the hours of dedication and training that must have been put in to get to that point and V is spectacular but it did still leave me a bit cold.

Chevalblanc wrote:Is anyone else confused by the cycling events? Seems incredibly complicated!!

Some of them are just downright weird! And we haven't even seen the keirin yet where they cycle really slowly behind a moped for most of the race :random:
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby Chevalblanc » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:32 pm

Watching yesterday's dressage on the iPlayer. Most of them have been a complete tug o' war. Edward Gal's horse has the boxiest feet I've ever seen! Carl has been the best so far, one of the few whose horse has a decent "sit" and not hinds trailing out......still think he's a better rider than CJD

Some pics of poor Parzival have gone online, doesn't look good at all :sad: http://www.hippofoto.be/portfolio/G0000 ... cyyq3LSXO4 There's a theory that his jaw was actually fractured (more on that here: https://www.facebook.com/notes/chris-an ... 3783926472 ). Whatever the truth, he's not a happy horse. Hope he never has to do any more stressage......

We are all glued to the women's heptathlon. The high jump yesterday was amazing!
Helen

Chevalblanc

Next

Return to Other Sporting Pastimes