A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Horsebox Project

Horsebox Project

Postby JennieF » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:27 pm

So here is my slightly scruffy big van ....... hopefully it will soon be converted into a horsebox ...... its a 2002 LWB Extra high top Renault Master.... I have bought it in the UK as vans here are so damned expensive !!!

The plan is that they will load up a ramp through the side door and stand facing backwards and unload through the back doors ... I dont want to change the outward appearance of the van so that once I have it registered it shouldnt have to go through further checks at the DREAL. I'm told that as long as the van bodywork is unchanged it doesnt matter what it carries as long as its not used for commercial use......

Cost so far is purchase price £1260 (on Ebay) plus tax disc £121(should get most of that back) 4 sheets of ply and a few service items total £1660 plus ferry and flight back for my brother £214 so total to date €2180

Have just applied to Renault France for Certificate of Comformitie €155 - dont know yet if this will be a full or partial so may or may not have to be inspected by the DREAL .. which will be another €90 - so :crossfingers: we get a full cert and can then just go to the prefecture for the Carte Grise ... once we have that and the trailer is sold (have someone coming 2mrw) we can get on with the conversion .....
Attachments
CIMG4846.JPG
CIMG4846.JPG (197.31 KiB) Viewed 584 times
CIMG4843.JPG
CIMG4843.JPG (185.76 KiB) Viewed 584 times
CIMG4842.JPG
CIMG4842.JPG (180.94 KiB) Viewed 584 times
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Horsebox Project

Postby Sarah » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:39 pm

Looks good :thumbup: it's a brilliant idea to convert a van as you don't then have the hassle of towing a trailer :)
Common sense horsemanship comes free to those who have it but at a cost to those who don't!
Sarah

Postby spottygiraffe » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:11 am

What a great idea for a blog :thumbup: The van looks great and I can't wait to see how they go about converting it.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby Chevalblanc » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:16 am

Great idea, be interested to see how it turns out. Something to consider in the future, maybe......
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby littlewhitehorse » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:37 am

Great project! Look forward to seeing how it progresses :thumbup:
littlewhitehorse

Postby Tanya » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:51 pm

Good idea Jennie and a fab project - but with all the lorries for sale in the UK wouldn't have been cheaper just to buy one ??
Tanya

Postby JennieF » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:05 am

Tanya wrote:Good idea Jennie and a fab project - but with all the lorries for sale in the UK wouldn't have been cheaper just to buy one ??

The problem is paperwork Tanya - I'm hoping that getting a 'bog standard' van registered here will be relatively easy - TBH if registration wasnt a problem I'd have gone to the UK and bought a 'proper' 7.5T lorry but getting paperwork for one here is virtually impossible - I know people have done it but its v difficult and can be v expensive. Even all the 3.5T Renault Masters in the UK with the sides cut out for a ramp would be pretty difficult to get past the DREAL - I've done it once with a friend but really dont want to do it again - it was a complete nightmare !!! Not only did we have to get it past the inspections at the DREAL but also had to get Renaults approval of the work that had been done and they v nearly didnt give it to us :random: :random:
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby Trudi » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:30 am

:thumbup: look forward to following the van's progress. I've heard a number of people have given up with UK lorries in France as the registration was such a nightmare, good idea of yours to avoid the hassle Jennie.
Trudi

Postby JennieF » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:58 am

I appear to have received the piece of paper I need from Renault to register the van :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: now I just need to get the CT done and I should be able to get the Carte Grise :crossfingers: :crossfingers: as nothing is ever that simple here !!!!

€155 is a lot to pay for one sheet of A4 with a few figures printed on it !!
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby Tanya » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:48 am

I know what you mean about the paperwork - still waiting on my Equi Trek - but have found a supplier here who is dealing with it.
Tanya

Next

Return to Blogs