A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

The Beasts of Exmoor

The Beasts of Exmoor

Postby Trudi » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:31 pm

Two fat Spanish pones on Exmoor would actually be a more accurate title!

The boys Moralejo (Moralecho)/Moo and Chapiro (Shapiro)/Chaps made the journey from the sunny Dordogne to Exmoor two weeks ago. Previously Chaps had no life experience in terms of yards so a 1000km + journey in a lorry ending in arrival at a strange yard with chooks, dogs, pheasants and lots of other horses left him rather subdued. Everyone on the yard is somewhat disbelieving that the little man is actually a right bossy boots as he is deferring to Moo all the time :rofl:

Moo has quite literally taken it in his stride and travelled/settled well. Everyone loves him already.

They share a field of their own but are alongside lots of other neds which both seem to enjoy.

The yard owner seems lovely and the other liveries I've met so far seem very friendly. It's pretty quiet in the afternoons so I've been able to tentatively start work with them. I'll download some video from yesterday when Chaps was slightly less wired than on day one in the school. I wish I had recorded day one, he was almost climbing the walls :o day three today and he was much better.
Trudi

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: The Beasts of Exmoor

Postby Chevalblanc » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:38 am

Awww, love 'em, looking forward to vids & pics......must be strange for Chapsi. I wonder how Sky & Kinns would react to being on a yard? Mind you, I though Fina would find competing stressful, but she is always a star, even when she goes to a show on her own.......
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby spottygiraffe » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:12 am

:hurray: Can't wait to read more about the beasts of Exmoor!

Will be good to see some footage just so I can picture you in your new environment. I like to be able to visualise things.

I hope Chaps settles in -I honestly believe it can take up to a year for the sensitive types to properly adjust when they move. He was young when he went to live in Jumilhac, and I don't know how their memories work but I would imagine that is the only place he knows. Impressed with Moo taking it all in his stride :thumbup:
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby Tanya » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:59 am

:hurray: Can't wait to see the pics and video - glad they are settling in slowly but surely...looking forward to seeing the yard and the views of Exmoor
Tanya

Postby Bonbon » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:38 am

Glad they're starting to settle in!! Can't wait to see vid and pics! :hurray: :hurray:
Bonbon

Postby HighJinx » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:25 am

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Great to hear they are settling in, look forward to seeing vids :thumbup:
HighJinx

Postby Trudi » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:31 pm

Thanks all :D

Well day one Chaps was climbing the walls but I have to say he was very polite about my space. Actually I'm telling fibs, that was day two because day one we went in the school with Moo and Lydia and I just had a few minutes in-hand showing him the place. Therefore I think it's a pretty good assumption that Chaps is worried by being alone rather than the school. No great surprise there.

Anyway there follows a vid from our second session alone, I had to take off the sound because our BB connection is crap. I'm using CT to counter condition the stress which I wasn't sure about but then yesterday I took him in there again and he was instantly calmer and we could take the lead off immediately. I hate to work attached because it's really important that they feel they have the choice. So I will continue the mega high treat rates and counter conditioning until we get calm (or he gets so fat he bursts :o )

He is very interested in a small hairy pone roughly at the pause button when you watch the video, hopefully he'll get bored with that. A real high point for me was walking a foot away from the two big Alsations (friendly but noisy) while they barked like mad and Chaps didn't flinch. Yesterday the four track started up in the yard when he was a couple of feet from it and he was fine. All little things on a big yard but big things for his little head :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh7lTC6er_k
Trudi

Postby Bonbon » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:51 pm

He looks as gorgeous as ever! :love: What a little star, he wants to be looking around, but nevertheless he's concentrating on his mum!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Bonbon

Postby HighJinx » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:44 am

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Sure he will settle in no time, such a big change for him but he was trying really hard to stay focussed on you :love:
HighJinx

Postby Tanya » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:07 pm

He is beautiful and what a lovely indoor school...I am sure it won't take him long to settle in :thumbup:
Tanya

Next

Return to Blogs