A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Tails From Provence

Re: Tails From Provence

Postby JennieF » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:19 pm

:thumbup: :thumbup: well done - I cant believe that sitting trot is compulsory over here !!! no wonder you see so many young horses being forced to accept the rider sitting way before they are ready :thumbdown: :thumbdown: I must ask my dressage judge friend why ???
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Chevalblanc » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:34 pm

Very well done, Martine :thumbup: No, I don't get the sitting trot thing either :confused: And it looks like you forgot your Gogue....... :wink:
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby JennieF » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:31 am

I bet they were surprised to see that a horse can go round without any contraptions - he is lovely
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby Martine » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:51 am

Alexandrine is a no-contraptions person. The two little kids usually ride in halters but they had to use bridles for the dressage :shock:
I am constantly thanking my lucky stars I found her and her family - her mum is my constant trekking companion.

To be fair there were quite a few warming up with me who didn't have de Gogues and draw reins. They (and the double bridles) started to appear later.
Martine

Postby Martine » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:00 pm

Martine

Postby littlewhitehorse » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:13 am

Sounds as if you had a more relaxed group ride than the last time :lol: :thumbup:
Isn't it funny how some horses love sideways? Lucie will offer me sideways rather than anything else, she thinks it's so cool!
Love the dressage commentary :xmaslaugh:
littlewhitehorse

Postby Martine » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:01 pm

Hi folks this blog post has triggered an interesting discussion both in the comments section and on an animal welfare page on Facebook if any of you would like to chip in your tuppence worth.
http://tailsfromprovence.com/2014/02/17/what-can-i-do/

The discussion on FB centres on whether rescue organisations are being to picky about where they rehome animals. Eg with dog welfare socs in general, they require that you have an enclosed garden, there must be someone at home all day with dogs under the age of two etc. In ireland, a friend of mine was refused a rescue horse because she would be keeping it in livery. :shock: Say whut???

The comments thread on the blog post... well you can see for yourselves. It's part "What can we do" and part "Abattoirs are bad v Abattoirs provide a way out for unwanted horses"

Looking forward to hearing what you lot have to say :-D
Martine

Postby littlewhitehorse » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:59 pm

Good article Martine! I was interested to read the new legislation and that it will come into effect, not just being talked about; but what does it mean "all equines must be registered to a registered equine premises"?

My feelings are that while taking in rescue dogs and horses is a wonderful thing to do, and from the story & photos, who could want a nicer dog than Gari :love: it doesn't solve the root problem or remove the causes, just makes room for more intakes, as you pointed out. The legislation (this is only Ireland, what about the UK & elsewhere in Europe?) at least sets out a policy which, if it can be enforced, should eventually take effect.

The charity walk raising €18000 :hurray:
littlewhitehorse

Postby Martine » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:28 pm

The "Registration of Equine Premises" came into being about two years ago, around the time I was leaving. All equine premises must be inspected and approved by the dept of Ag and will be given a Herd number. I was furious about it at the time, seeing it as just another layer of bureaucracy being inflicted upon the already-lawabiding and compliant horse owners while the "cowboy" owners (you know what I mean!) would continue to flout the laws. However, I now see it as another way of enforcing traceability of equines although the introduction of "transfer of ownership" will do far more good than registering equine premises!
Another thing being introduced this year, by the governing bodies of equestrian sports, is that every horse competing must have a herd number. Again this is fine, compliant owners will comply, but what about the ones who are fly-grazing and racing sulkies on the main roads... bet they won't be looking for herd numbers before their races!

As for animal neglect and cruelty, harsher penalties and enforcement of the law are the only way to go, for which the animals need to be identifiable and the owners traceable.

And YAY, I'm super-proud of my friend for raising 18,000!!! She was one of our first liveries, back in 1993!
Martine

Previous

Return to Blogs