ImageDSC_0121 (2) by Helen Barnes, on Flickr
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Coral

Postby nicxf » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:31 pm

Trudi wrote::love: and I think Nic that this supports the fact that her confidence quickly grows when in company :thumbup:

Yes, I think she's very happy in company. She's getting along with her other field mates so I'm looking forward to more hacking out. I think she likes exploring. :thumbup: She seems to enjoy it.

She's really taken to the archery too!
nicxf

Postby Trudi » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:08 am

Sounds like good progress :thumbup:
Trudi

Postby nicxf » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:36 am

Think I should start posting my journey with Coral on here, what with it being her blog and all. Today was another first; her first hack out in the woods with a couple of her field buddies. She was great! Although obviously not entirely happy about it (she spent most of the ride with her top lip sucked in and nostrils flaring), she held it together really well, and did gradually relax her neck and head carriage through the course of the ride, if not her face. We had a couple of spooks and one skitter forward at an unexpected tractor shed that was hiding behind some trees but even then, she stopped herself after a few yards and let me turn her back to go look at it.

I'm very impressed with her self control and her willingness to listen even when she's obviously somewhat on edge. In fact I'd even say she's MORE responsive to direction when she's worried. Maybe there's some reassurance in being given a job to do when everything around her is unfamiliar? At any rate, I barely had to ask her forward, and steering was much better than it often has been in the field. There were no sticky moments and she started and stopped (mostly, sometimes after a few steps) when asked.

I don't know if she's been in woodland before, and I'm pretty sure she's never been ridden up and down such steep inclines but again she did beautifully - not rushing down the steep slopes but responding to a lift of the rein to tuck her bottom under and take it slowly.

She is such a willing little pony, I think it's going to take very little for her to become a brilliant trail horse. :thumbup:
nicxf

Postby littlewhitehorse » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:27 am

Sounds as if she is doing really well, and she seems very happy with the horseback archery too :thumbup:

Maybe there's some reassurance in being given a job to do when everything around her is unfamiliar?

Absolutely! And isn't it a much healthier way of looking at it, than thinking of "make them"... Once you add purpose and give them a job to do, it kind of unlocks the freeze state of mind :-D and avoids opposition reflexes. She seems to be a sweet and willing mare :love:
littlewhitehorse

Previous

Return to Blogs