A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Another horse...?

Re: Another horse...?

Postby fabikat » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:53 pm

Thanks Trudi, I was happy with it for the first attempt.
What and how is the first thing(s) I should work on?
You mentioned beginning the LY with a bit of SI which I had considered but then I thought I may then encourage the quarters to lead :hmmm: but I will have a play with it.

Dont be fooled Helen he gets easily bored and I think I got lucky that day. :wink:

Farrier came today and Kaiser behaved himself :thumbup: . He is unshod btw so I will leave him like that. My farrier is not a 'barefoot' trimmer but hopefully we wont encounter any problems. :crossfingers: (All three horses are now unshod)
katy x
fabikat

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Trudi » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:02 am

By lightening the shoulders with a little SI/fore before you start the LY you can usually get the shoulders more mobile and in front of the 1/4's. Try moving the shoulders alone and the 1/4's alone so that you have strong cues for either, that way you can change the balance at any time. I also like to play with the bend so that you can work in true or counter shoulder-in without changing sides.
Trudi

Postby fabikat » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:27 pm

Thanks Trudi, it makes sense now. Someething we need to work on as he still isnt very 'mobile'. I am trying to be patient with everything but it is a long time since I had a green horse and takes some getting used to :lol:

I had a good ride with him today in the sunshine :-D
katy x
fabikat

Postby fabikat » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:20 am

Just a little update.
The boy is doing well. He is very 'at home' now and knows the routines.

He is understanding my body language much more now and I find that sometimes I apply the 'pressure' (there goes that word again, LOL ) a little too much or too long because he reacts a little more surely now. Occasionally he can come across as quite thick but it is just his manner and he is actually learning things quite easily :lol:
I even managed to do some loose schooling with him. Some walk/halt/back transitions, and some 10m circles. I really wish I had videoed that day as the feedback would have been of great help.

Have been working lots on getting him to move his quarters and his shoulders, (maybe too much? Is that a possibility?) and he is getting a little more aware of where he is putting his feet.
Thinking about doing the practical horsemanship test in ID this month. Any tips anyone?

Another positive is that he doesnt seem to have become to dependent on Saracen, which is something that I didnt want to happen for obvious reasons. I guess that as I have taken him away from the herd nearly every day for some amount of time he is just accustomed to spending some time on his own. :thumbup:
katy x
fabikat

Postby fabikat » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:28 am

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423906078.389917.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423906078.389917.jpg (434.56 KiB) Viewed 46 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423906066.222106.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423906066.222106.jpg (306.19 KiB) Viewed 46 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423906051.691021.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423906051.691021.jpg (461.31 KiB) Viewed 46 times
katy x
fabikat

Postby Trudi » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:49 am

:thumbup: he looks massive in that video. Glad it is all going well. The PH will be great for him, Kate is so helpful, not looking for the same thing as the baroque, more parelli like so bend isn't an issue but calmness, harmony, willingness etc is.
Trudi

Postby spottygiraffe » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:13 pm

Oh what a sweetheart, he's doing so well :hurray: I think you're doing a great job, especially considering you're not quite in your comfort zone with all the groundwork.

Gorgeous photos too. Can't believe the sun you seem to have :mrgreen:

I did a few PH classes with Iz and Squaw and I found them surprisingly difficult. When you read through the test it seems straightforward but it's hard to really nail even the most simple moves. They're such a good way to learn where the gaps are in the horse's education and as with the Baroque, you can progress through them logically. I know Janet found them really helpful with Jinx and those two got really good at them. You should deffo go for it :thumbup:
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby fabikat » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:21 pm

Thanks for the thumbs up Sarah and Trudi. Will see if we can give it a go then. I thought it would be ideal for us to work on such things. :thumbup:
Oh btw I was thinking of doing it this month because it is one of the tests where you have to demonstrate different things a bit like handy horse. But maybe we could do some of the set tests too mixed in with the baroque, and then hopefully some ridden tests further down the line.
katy x
fabikat

Postby fabikat » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:28 pm

We had a play with the PH test for ID today. He is so funny, like having a rather large dog :lol:

The first time I showed him something new, the umbrella or bag full of cans for example, he said omg what is that. But afterwards just said oh great I can play with that :lol:
Unfortunately I did not take into consideration the time factor and our video is way too long. It is for that reason I hate freestyle tests. Not sure if I will attempt it again as it was all such a faff getting it all organised. Also I think I would have to hassle him along to achieve the things I want to do done in the time limit and that seems to defeat the object of it.

Next month there is a regular dressage test for first timers (horse and/or rider) so we may aim for that.
We can also attempt a baroque test but we have yet to achieve the RB under saddle :thumbdown:

He has been with us three months now and I am very pleased with his progress. Just waiting for the first real hiccup now..... It will have to happen :wink:
katy x
fabikat

Postby spottygiraffe » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:03 pm

Well done! Well done lovely boy too, for taking it pretty much in his stride and being a good dog :lol:

You can submit your video anyway and Kate will mark the first 5 minutes of it, or whatever the time limit is. It would be good to get the feedback. I remember Janet submitted one that was way over the time limit and some of the compulsory moves were afterwards too, but she still won the class :thumbup:
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

PreviousNext

Return to Blogs