A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

New Kid on the Block

Re: New Kid on the Block

Postby Late Starter » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:34 am

A bundle of news and no mistake this time. The Thursday night economy group was Becca on Bailey, Pollyanna on Travis and I was on Donnie. The boss was teaching and had us working on riding our horses on an outline (she is a bit of a dressage nut :) ). Mixed feelings about this. Getting there involved an awful lot of heavy contact through the reins. Partly this is down to riding school horses being used to "getting away with it". Pnce we had them going in a nice outline, we could relax the rein a bit so that they were carrying themselves nicely, but as soon as soon as they started to drop the neck we were to collect them up again. We worked this up through the walk and into the trot, getting longer periods of "self carriage". Clearly, when working with your own horse you attain that self carriage through gentler means, but in an hour on a riding school horse it all seems a bit brutal. Nevertheless, it was instructive to feel a hrse going nicely on the bit. As I say rathe rmixed feelings about that lesson.
Friday night is show jumping night. Katherine and I entered the 2' class on Raffles and Donnie respectively. Raffles rather got his head down and went off at a charge. To her credit, Katherine set back and got him back under control. I managed a double clear on Donnie. I was rathe rchuffed by this as it is only the fourth time I have ridden him and the first time I have jumped him. Jenny won the class on Bailey ( afew seconds faster than me :wink: ), I was second, Katherine was third with a few faults and Tash was fourth on Candy with a few more faults (Candy was in a non=cooperative mood). No doubt about the bragging rights this month :lol: . All credit to Katherine though for stepping up a class to try to beat her old dad. I guess that means I will have to move up to 2'3" next. Perhaps we will stick at 2' for a couple of months. Haven't decided yet.
Saturday, it was over to Helen's for some horseback archery. Got some shots off at the canter, riding G. Sky was a total nutjob and alternated between trying to break the land speed record and "not doing it, can't make me" :roll: . Couldn't hit a barn door at the canter :oops: . In the afternoon, I slowed it down to the trot to try to get some consistency. I realised that I could wait a stride or two before loosing and my accuracy started to improve. Well, at least I was hitting the target more often. Great piccies by Helly on the Cotswold Horse Archery thread.
Last bit of news. Travis has been sold to Pollyanna, but I don't know if he will be staying on as a working livery. I may have to start a blog about Donnie instead. "Quiet flows the Don"?
Late Starter

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Trudi » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:48 pm

I think you are pretty perceptive about getting them 'on the bit' Alick- unfortunately for you it then becomes a difficult road to walk but in the long run better for the horses.

Hope you still get to ride the T man.
Trudi

Postby spottygiraffe » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:52 pm

Shame about Travis but we'd like to read about quiet flowing Don too :thumbup: My FIL was called Don :wink:

Well done for the double clear -nice work.

Sky :lol: :roll:
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby Late Starter » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:34 pm

Sadly, Travis has gone to live with Pollyanna. Lucky boy :-D . Lucky Girl :lol: .
I wish her every joy with the big boy. However that means that this is the natural end of this blog....... :wave:
Late Starter

Postby Chevalblanc » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:13 am

You'll just have to start another one about Don then..... :-D
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby JennieF » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:22 am

Chevalblanc wrote:You'll just have to start another one about Don then..... :-D

:agree:
ImageImageImageImage