A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Cold weather

Cold weather

Postby littlewhitehorse » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:35 pm

How's everyone managing in the cold weather? It's been -6/7 a couple of mornings this week, yesterday was the heaviest frost, and a few days ago a bitter wind and didn't get into positive temps during the day. My horses are in the farthest field so I have to barrow water and hay down, although it's just occurred to me that if it continues I can move them a field nearer, although the hose will probably freeze. I take a bucket of hot water down in the morning but they seem to be breaking the ice in the dustbin; and they do drink a lot when it's frosty. Unfortunately they rolled in the mud before it froze :roll:

Managed a bit of poo picking today but where the sun hasn't reached, it's still frozen to the ground.

We haven't had any snow yet.
littlewhitehorse

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Cold weather

Postby Chevalblanc » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:03 pm

Nowhere near as cold here, we've had lots of rain in the last week, so very muddy :thumbdown: Nice bit of dry weather and frost the last couple of days but not cold enough to freeze the pipes.......
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby M-E » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:34 pm

It was -6 :cold: here this morning and due again tomorrow, I am in a "free horses available if any wants one" mode at the mo, the little buggers got out on Tuesday, thankfully the neighbour ( a horsey lady) put them back and was trying to rebuild the live fence when I got there, and tonight when I got to the field it was very empty!!!!! so dark tonight too no moonlight just some starlight, & of course no torch to hand, found the blighters about 1/2 mile down the road in some chaps veg garden, really hoping the frozen ground will stop hoof prints for showing. caught Tiky and led him home hoping that we didn't meet any traffic with Bretty following like a over grown foal (you know hoping into fields and noseing around then trotting to catch up ) got Tiky in the field Brett just plodded on :roll: so got Tiky into the barn tied up and given hay then went looking for Brett finally found him where they broke out and dragged him home, fence is rebuilt and (hopefully) improved, had to carry water from the gite to the stables as hose pipe and tap is frozen, only had one watering can so 12 trips later :roll: loads of hay put out, halters left on just in case tomorrow as Tiky went to check the fence as I left.
We are due freezing weather till Thursday when it is due to turn warm. wet and windy :lol:
M-E

Postby Trudi » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:28 pm

Not bad at all yet- cold and crisp this morning first lesson we had to take easy on their outdoor school but soon thawed out.
M-E that was an entertaining write up but what a pain :roll: those boys do like to keep you on your toes.
Trudi

Postby Chevalblanc » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:07 am

Oh no, M-E, I remember that stuff well, when G lived with Maverick they were always getting out and we once found them several miles away :roll: Luckily the Mairie people knew exactly whose horses they were :lol: No escapes since arriving in the UK, all those hawthorn hedges are much better at keeping them in than electric tape......!
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby JennieF » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:09 am

Its been very cold here but lovely and sunny - yesterday it was really warm out of the wind ... rugs off Mis and Bandit who had a good roll and got grubby ... brushing them last light I realised that Mis is starting to moult already !!! but, I guess the days are getting longer now

Darwin's itching seems to have been lice.. I wish the vet had seen them instead of diagnosing a 'mycose' (ringworm) or some sort of allergy a year ago ... I 'managed' his itching over the summer using various sweet itch potions but he has been itching like mad since the beginning of the winter ... spent some time on the internet and kept coming up with ... lice - so I got some good old-fashioned louse powder from the UK and treated him ... and he stopped itching, having to treat him every 10 days or so at the mo ... but its looking like that is all it was - the other two are also a little bit itchy so going to treat the whole gang weekly and see if we can get on top of the problem ...

Not ridden anything for ages as I'm a bit 'broken' at the mo and supposed to be taking it easy but I might take the Spanish horse in the school and do some ground work ... now I have a fence it wont matter if he 'goes off on one' as I can just let go :thumbup: :thumbup:
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby littlewhitehorse » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:11 pm

:eek: :roll: M-E, what bad boys! I suppose the electric fencing isn't so effective when it's very cold, or when the horses are wearing fur coats trimmed with mud - or just being bad boys looking for amusement :lol: It sounds as if you get the prize for having the worst of it at present :hug:

No frost here this morning, didn't have to break any ice and it was a nice day, but more :cold: forecast next week, although plenty of :sun:

I don't have any trees to hang haynets on so they have them as ground nets; when I went in the morning to pick them up it took me ages to find one of the empty hay nets, they do sometimes end up a long way down the filed, or in the brambles :roll: in the end I located it in the other section of field fenced off from the horses and at least 10m from the fencing. I guess a deer must have caught a foot in it and dragged it, otherwise I have some naughty field pixies around :lol:
littlewhitehorse

Postby Trudi » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:41 am

We had field pixies in Moulin de Cros- finally found out it was foxes taking headcollars from near the gate- only came to light when we were fencing and came across a secret stash of all sorts :lol:
Trudi

Postby M-E » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:25 am

Still cold here but warmer, we got above freezing yesterday and -4 last night but much warmer today, +4c :thumbup: :thumbup: we are due to stay like that till Friday, the ground is like iron, great for feet but a nightmare banning posts back in! and yes the buggers where out again :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: still much quicker to find in the daylight, I managed to cut across the fields and they where back on the veggie garden, I did get to see it this time and he has nothing growing in it so no idea why the boys make a bee line for it, a bit more of a exciting walk back as I took Tiky the road route and Brett took the field route! they now have three fences to breakthrough, I had to get Cliff to help get the new posts in the ground, you would think he was the one who had be out in sub zero temps for hours with all the grumbling :roll: they have loads of hay but they are doing the "oh the hay is on the floor I can't possible eat it, give me more" :hissyfit:
M-E

Postby JennieF » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:21 pm

warmer today and grey but the forecast for the next week is looking good :thumbup: :thumbup:

I don't care how cold it gets as long as its sunny :sun: :sun:

http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-m ... vaur/24550
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Next

Return to General horse stuff