A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Ulcers

Ulcers

Postby JennieF » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:40 pm

had the vet out today to do a vaccination on Bandlero and while he was here talked to him about Mis as she has been looking poor and not holding her weight as she usually does - nothing obvious just not quite right - he took a set of bloods so we could check everything just to make sure its not just her getting older ... he called this afternoon to say blood levels were good but that she appears to have a stomach/ulcer problem which would tie in with her dropping off weight so she is going to go onto treatment for 6 months to see if it helps ..... I have been worried about her for a while so v glad I did get him to take samples whilst he was here

has anyone got any experience of stomach ulcers in horses?? I thought it was more of a stabled horse issue ... maybe the change in weather, diet, place has affected/stressed her more than I realised ...
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Ulcers

Postby Chevalblanc » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:55 pm

Oh poor Mis :sad: Might be the stress of moving, I have read that travel can cause ulcers in some horses? Especially if she was too stressed to eat during the journey........
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby JennieF » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:00 pm

I've been wondering if because it has been so hot this summer it might be that she has spent a lot of time stood in the shelter not eating for hours at a time .... next summer I will put hay nets in there so they have something to eat

She is such a seasoned traveller that I dont think it would have been the journey - she was with me in the van and didnt seem to be at all stressed ...
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby M-E » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:10 pm

Since Moss, I found out that yes ulcers in horses who live out 24/7 are very possible and seems to have nothing to do with stress.

Thunderbrooks do quite a few products for gut problems,
M-E

Postby fabikat » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:50 am

Sorry to hear about Mis Jennie. What treatment are you planning? Hope she is feeling better quickly.
katy x
fabikat

Postby Trudi » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:04 pm

Poor Mis, yes Thunderbrook seem very popular here at the moment. Hope she is better soon :hug:
Trudi

Postby Tess and Organza » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:05 pm

ditto, :hug: :hug: lovely Mis xxx
Tess and Organza

Postby spottygiraffe » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:20 pm

I always associated ulcers with horses who had a diet high in grains and low in hay, which obviously doesn't describe Mis, although you could be onto something with the periods of not eating.

My friend's horse has ulcers and he windsucks terribly on fence posts -not sure if this is a common link. He gets terrible diahorrea. She thinks it's stress-related with him because it seems to be sensitive to changes in routine or field-mates.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Return to General horse stuff